Landscapes 15

Johnny Powers

February 1, 1947 ~ November 8, 2021 (age 74)


With heavy hearts we announce the passing of our beloved Husband, Father, Grandfather and Friend, John Eber Powers (aka Johnny), who passed away November 8, 2021 at the Fort St. John Hospital at 74 years of age. Johnny was born February 1, 1947 in Calgary, Alberta to Melvin and Shirley Powers.  As per Johnny’s wishes he was cremated and there was no service or burial. Those wishing to make donations in his memory can do so to the Heart & Stroke Foundation of BC

One of eight children, he was second eldest to Harry (Betty), Ray (Colleen), Keith, Douglas (d.) Valerie (Pete), David and older step-brother Norman (Marie). He was part of a very large family that consisted of his wife of 50 years, Peggy (Scheck); their children and spouses Kris (Mervin) and Kirk (Erin); their grandchildren Connor (d.), Emily, Carver and Marshall; and many cousins, nieces and nephews and their families.

Until adulthood, Johnny’s family moved around a lot.  Living in places like Calgary, Red Deer, Mile 24 close to Dawson Creek and on to Fort St. John in Grandhaven and Baldonnel areas. As a young man, he moved back to Calgary and worked as a Tire Technician and then moved up to Tire Salesman.  He was brought back to Fort St. John due to a car accident where met and married Peggy in 1971.  Here they built their home in Anneofield and raised their children and grandchildren.  It’s also where he retired and spent most of his days in his recliner, yard and sheds.

Being part of a large family, as kid, he helped his mom and dad take care of his siblings.  He would shovel snow and chop wood.  In senior high school he played on the rugby team.  He often bragged about his skills being the shortest, smallest one on the team. He also played hockey for the Fort St. John Flyers.  He had jobs as a Tire Technician at Leaches and also bagged groceries at the CO-OP.

Dad was a hardworking man priding on his high work ethic which he instilled into me and Kirk. He provided for his family ensuring we always had a home.  We never went hungry and if work was slow and money was extra tight, he’d serve us his favourite pot of macaroni, cheez whiz and weiners.  He worked as a Labourer, a Cat Operator on projects such as the WC Bennett Dam and Beatton River Park, Pipe Insulator/Sheet Metal Worker on several oil and gas plants in FSJ, Fort Nelson and for 10+ yrs at the McMahon Plant in Taylor.  He has his 35 year pin for the Heat & Frost Insulators Union. 

Anyone that knew my Dad, knows that he loved to have a good time.  He was his happiest when he was with his family and friends.  Growing up, our family and his siblings’ families spent every Sunday and every Christmas at his parents. This later evolved into annual Powers Horseshoe Tournaments – a large camping event with family and friends where if he was ‘sturdy enough’, he’d take home a trophy or two.  When he wasn’t working or with his family, Johnny 5 could be found with his pals at the Mangy Moose or Rosco’s Pub.

He loved playing cards, horseshoes, darts and curling.  He enjoyed watching Emily play basketball, Marshall speed skate and Carver play hockey.  Dad watched all sports on tv.  When I was a kid, he tortured me with hockey and football.  In his later years, he was obsessed with curling.  Every winter for 3 months it was all that was on his tv!  Dad liked the casino, playing scratch tickets and dreamed of winning the lottery and never missed a draw.  He finally won his biggest jackpot of $1000 earlier this year.

Dad was a quiet person and when was teasing you, it was his way of showing his love.  He had a kind caring heart.  He didn’t have a lot of extra money so he was always willing to lend a hand however he could. He helped me move several times.  He was good with his hands and loved his power tools.  He could be bossy at times, but that was his way of teaching.  Dad had a way of figuring things out. He always kept his vehicles clean and would spend hours polishing them just so.  His second-best friend, mom being the first, was his remote control.  He was in charge of the tv.  Dad was an excellent teacher.  Among other things, he taught me how to change the oil in my car, change the tires and how a car works.  He was adamant that Kirk and I graduate because he didn’t.  Dad was always there when I needed him. 

Dad was a man of several lives.  Like a cat, he survived an almost fatal car accident when he was 22, mini strokes in his 50s and a stroke in his 60s.  He was in and out of the hospital in his 70s battling COPD and congestive heart failure.  I was amazed he made it home every time.  His death is something I was preparing for for many years.  In November he told Mom that he was tired and this was to be his last time in the hospital.  The day he died he was supposed to be going home but his body couldn’t fight the COPD anymore. 

I don’t know if a heaven exists but if it does, I imagine him reunited with his loved ones that passed before him.  They are all smiling, laughing and having good time.  Until I get to join the party, I will do my best to take care of mom and to live life like the way he would’ve want me to - being happy.


As per Johnny's wishes there will be no services as this time. Those wishing to make donations in his memory can do so to the Heart & Stroke Foundation of BC.


Family invite you to share in Johnny's life by viewing his PHOTO TRIBUTE.






To send flowers to the family or plant a tree in memory of Johnny Powers, please visit our floral store.


You can still show your support by sending flowers directly to the family, or by planting a memorial tree in the memory of Johnny Powers
© 2021 Hamres Funeral Chapel & Cremation Center. All Rights Reserved. Funeral Home website by CFS & TA | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy